Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Living an eco-fashionable life

It's one thing to work in sustainable fashion, it's another thing to actually live it. I've long had a green sensibility and that's a values thing. Living it can actually be more tricky and I'm aware of the contradiction of working in an industry that can be seen as more about consumerism than anything else.

I don't buy a lot of clothes. Aside from Green Eyed Monster, I don't have the time, budget or desire to buy lots of new clothes. I have a wish list of things I'd like and wherever possible I stick to it. This tends to be high quality, classic, timeless pieces if I buy new but I also love buying pre-loved clothes at op shops, markets and on ebay. I also try to buy eco household and organic products wherever possible and when my budget (we are on a single income) permits.

Similarly, I've furnished my home with Art Deco items I've found at antiques centres and vintage shops. Perhaps I'm just lucky that my taste happens to be about 'sustainable' items but I also think it's a better way to live. I also think things were often better made in previous times and I love the idea of handing items down from one generation to the next. If you're wanting to live a greener life, there are lots of good books around. One is 'Greeniology' by Australian author Tanya Ha which is more about green households, and the other is 'The eco chick guide to life' by American author Starre Vartan which is more about eco fashion, beauty and style. See if you can get a copy from your local library or bookstore.

No comments:

Post a Comment