Monday, November 15, 2010

Made in Australia

I also subscribe to Ragtrader's e-newsletter for fashion industry insiders. There's an interesting blog article written recently by iconic Australian fashion designer Jenny Bannister on 'inside the business model of emerging designers.'

It states that there is only a 5% niche of fashion designed and made on our continent with the remaining 95% of our fashion production being made overseas.

Anne has also commented that a lot of our retailers have a preference for Australian made and designed product over and above us being sustainable. I'm not sure the situation is likely to change in the near future but it sure is hard competing against $30 knock offs made in China from conventional cotton...

No comments:

Post a Comment